A day as a speech and language therapist

You've just qualified as a therapist, and help patients with a wide variety of speech and language difficulties at your local NHS hospital. Today you start work at 9am. For your first appointment, you see a child with a stammer and work through some exercises to help her improve her speech. You also meet with the child's parents to explain how they can do the exercises at home. Later you help a stroke victim relearn speech and pronunciation. In the future, you've decided to specialise rehabilitating stroke patients, seeing people both at hospital and in their own homes. You finish work at around 5.30pm knowing you've helped people improve their lives.

Real-life stories

Sophie Edgington

Find out more
Careers A-Z

Does this sound like you?

You're patient, caring and kind, and want a skilled job helping others. You're interested in medicine, enjoy biology and have a keen interest in how the human body and mind work.

What's next after GCSE?

You'll need five GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C) - or the equivalent - and be considering taking three A levels (or the equivalent) at 6th form or college.

What's next after A level and beyond?

You'll need to take an approved three or four-year degree in speech and language therapy at university. You'll usually need three A levels (or equivalent level 3 qualification). Different courses favour different A level subjects, so bear this in mind when considering a future university. Alternatively, you could take a relevant first degree (e.g. psychology) and then take an approved 2 year masters degree in speech and language therapy.