Teaching resources and lesson plans
To access the teacher guidance booklet and lesson plans, head to the resources page below.
Once your students have researched a career that interests them and created a fun and lively job advert for it, they are ready to send in their entries!
Ready to send in your entry?
Remember to send us every student’s creation. We’d love to see them all!
We encourage you to submit your entries online but if this isn’t possible, there is a freepost address.
Need some inspiration? See a list of last year’s winners on the NHS Health Careers website.
The important details
Students are challenged to research and choose an NHS career that interests them. Once chosen, they create materials to promote it, starting with a job description to capture key responsibilities, along with any qualifications, skills and experience needed.
This learning is then used to create a fun and lively job advert to appeal to their peers. Students can enter individually or in teams of up to four.
Entries must be received no later than Saturday 30 April 2022.
Overall national winner(s) will receive Amazon vouchers worth £50. Overall national winner(s) will also receive a class prize which will be discussed with the winning school.
Regional winners will each receive an Amazon voucher worth £25.
Highly commended certificates will also be awarded.
Student appeal (20%): Fun, lively and appealing to peer group
Creativity (30%): Are there any creative ideas shown? Is there anything particularly innovative in its execution? Have the student(s) created something different?
Understanding of chosen role (30%): Understanding of role in job advertisement and what it involves such as duties and tasks.
Understanding of entry routes to chosen career including qualifications and skills needed.
Structure and presentation (20%): Was the idea/solution showcased effectively? Clear and concise structure and presentation.
Competition terms and conditions
- The competition is open to all secondary schools in England only.
- Group and individual entries will be accepted. Groups must comprise of no more than four students.
- Only one entry per student or group of students will be accepted. Schools may submit entries from more than one student or group of students.
- All entries must clearly state student and teacher names, the full school address including postcode, plus an email address.
- Postal entries must be sent to FREEPOST STEP INTO THE NHS COMPETITION. The competition name must always appear in caps as shown. No other addressing details such as road, town or postcode should be used. Online submissions must be uploaded to www.stepintothenhs.nhs.uk/send-us-your-entry.
- The closing date for the competition is 30 April 2022.
- Postal entries must be submitted with the official teacher and pupil entry forms. Additional material can accompany the entry should the student(s) and/or teacher feel it will enhance their submission.
- Entries will only be accepted online once all compulsory competition requirements have been included.
- No responsibility will be accepted for entries lost or delayed in the post or incorrectly uploaded. Proof of posting will not be accepted as proof of delivery.
- The panel of judges will include at least one member who is independent of the promoter. The decision of the judges is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The first prize will be awarded to the entry deemed by the judges to have met the judging criteria most comprehensively. This student or group of students will be announced as the ‘national winner’.
- Ten regional winners will be selected, with one regional winner being chosen as the overall national winner. One regional winner will be chosen from each of the following regions: East Midlands; East of England; London; North East; North West; Thames Valley and Wessex; Kent, Surrey and Sussex; South West; West Midlands; and Yorkshire and the Humber.
- The student or group of up to four students submitting the national winning entry will receive a prize for their school and each receive Amazon vouchers worth £50.
- The student(s) selected as regional winners will each receive an Amazon voucher to the value of £25.
- Winning schools will be notified in writing by the end of May 2022.
- There is no cash alternative for any prize in this competition.
- Entries will not be returned to schools at the end of the competition.
- Any person requiring a list of winners should send an SAE to the FREEPOST address after the close date.
- Health Education England reserves the right to reproduce and utilise in whole or in part the entries submitted by students for information, publicity and promotional purposes. By entering, each class agrees to secure parental agreement and authorises the use of names and addresses of the establishment to which it belongs and the names of participating teachers and students in any information, publicity or promotional activity linked to this competition.
- Entering this competition implies full and complete acceptance of these terms and conditions of which entry instructions form a part. Promoter: Health Education England. Registered address: Health Education England, 1st floor, Blenheim House, Duncombe Street, Leeds LS1 4PL. (Please DO NOT send entries to this address. Thank you.)