Using the teacher resources
Download our teacher guide for an overview of our ready-made lesson plans and how to introduce meaningful careers-related learning to your pupils.
- how to integrate resources into schemes of work
- the learning journey
- how to enter the competition
Download the resources
The teacher resources are made up of three parts. The finale is an exciting competition to showcase learning and celebrate the NHS. Your students could win Amazon vouchers and a prize for the class.
The resources provide a progressive framework for learning but you won’t need to work through all the materials for your pupils to benefit. It's designed to be flexible so you can create a programme to suit you and your pupils.
All the teacher resources can be downloaded as a Zip file below.
Download all competition resources
Part 1: Your strengths and the NHS
Pupils explore who they are: what they are good at, what they need help with, their favourite things and what they want to do in the future.
- Your strengths and the NHS - supporting slides: PPT 1
- 'Who am I?' worksheet (activity 1) - PDF
- 'Like me' or 'Not like me' worksheet (activity 2) - PDF
- Online interactive quiz - take this fun, interactive quiz with your pupils to help bust myths and learn about the NHS.
Part 2: Working in the NHS
Pupils explore a wide range of jobs in the NHS through a variety of activities including hearing from a range of NHS staff on video, investigating a vibrant community scene and working with patient stories and job cards.
- Hear from NHS staff about their roles (video) - new!
- Watch Danny's journey in the NHS (video) - new!
- Working in the NHS - supporting slides: PPT 2
- Jobs card worksheet (activities 1 and 4) - PDF
- Sophie's story cards (activity 3) - PDF
- Ajay's story cards (activity 3) - PDF
- Jobs cards resource (activity 4) - PDF
- Hire me! worksheet (activity 5) - PDF
- Discover the allied health professions - HTML - new! Learn about the 16 different professions that support doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers, and take a quiz to test your learning.
Part 3: Competition entry
Pupils celebrate what they have learnt by taking part in a fun competition to produce a piece of artwork and/or writing.
- Video introduction to the competition - external link to YouTube
- Create your competition entry - supporting slides: PPT 3
- Examples of previous entries - PPT 4
- Let's say "thank you" to the NHS worksheet - PDF
- Online entry form - HTML
- Teacher entry form for postal entries (PDF)
- Teacher entry form for postal entries (Word)
We also have a range of resources to support delivery of the lesson plans and differentiate the learning for all pupils.
- Assembly planning grid - PDF
- Collapsed curriculum grid - PDF
- Differentiated delivery planning grid - PDF
- Certificate of participation - PDF
Extend the learning
Enjoyed the competition? If your pupils have entered the competition and you are searching for additional resources, look no further than our extension resources! You may wish to dedicate more time to these resources, as part of a careers week or drop-down day, or complete these extended careers activities in isolation.
- History of the NHS - supporting slides: PPT Extension 1
- Timeline (classroom poster - activity 1) - PDF
- 'What's their story?' worksheet (activity 2) - PDF
- Technology and the NHS - supporting slides: PPT Extension 2
- When I look to my future - worksheet (activity 3) - PDF
- This is me (activity 4) - PDF
- This is what I could be in the NHS (activity 5) - PDF
Enter the competition
For details of the competition (and the prizes!) check out our competition page.